I could see that, Rashad would not hold near the reach advantage and that would allow Shogun to get more comfortable early and find his range. I thought JJ throwing that flying knee to start the fight was absolutely BRILLIANT. It threw Shogun off and never let him get comfortable inside the Octagon. He had Shogun mind-****ed ten seconds into the fight.
Silva has the potential to land solid blows but Im not sure he can stay off his back. Sonnen is a good wrestler but I think Jones is in a whole different dimension with his wrestling, takedowns and top control. Sonnen is a very active guy who likes guard and has good takedowns. Jones has INCREDIBLE throws and trips to go along with takedowns and he is the much better overall grappler with his ground and pound (the best in MMA right now IMO, and its not close), his submission accumen and his excellent base (his base was the biggest thing in the Rua fight IMO. He was able to totally nullify anything Shogun tried to do off his back. He was able to use those long ass arms and legs to maintain a completely solid base throughout and kept Shogun from sweeping or escaping).
Rampage has that power but even I dont think he would be able to avoid the takedown or land consistently. Jones' reach would really fluster Rampage and his traditional 1-2 combos and NO footwork or head movement.
To be honest, the only person I can see matching Jones in athleticism and maybe being able to beat Jones is the headliner of next week's card, Phil Davis. Davis is more raw than Jones but he might be the only fighter who can dictate where the fight goes and put Jones on his back.
Jones/Davis will be the two best athletes in MMA history fighting.






Bookmarks